Skin Cleansing 101: Are you washing your face enough?
Remember when you used to complain to mom that you didn't need to wash your face every single day? Surprise, surprise: mom was just trying to look out for you! We now know - just like mom did then - that keeping your skin on a regular cleansing schedule is a critical part of maintaining your healthy, youthful glow.
No duh, right? Well, we're all guilty of cutting corners in skincare. Whether you're struggling to keep maskne in check, or are looking to upgrade your cleansing routine I hope this article gives you all the inspiration needed to keep that beautfiul face properly washed!
REMOVE BUILD UP
A common benefit of facial cleansing is the removal of dirt, oil, and other unwanted debris. Throughout the day the skin on your face is continually covered with bacteria, pollutants, viruses, dirt, and old (dead) skin cells. Daily facial washing removes these impurities to give the skin a fresh look. Without washing, your skin would be covered with a thick layer of dirt and grime which make it difficult for other products to penetrate the skin properly.
Regular facial cleansing (along with the use of a good moisturizer) is also an important factor in helping the skin maintain a proper level of hydration. Dehydrated skin looks and feels rough, wrinkled and aged. Cleansing helps manage PH levels of the skin; enabling sufficient water and product retention.
MAINTAIN CLEAR SKIN
Tiny glands under the skin produce oil called sebum to protect the skin from the dangers of the outside world. These glands use hair follicles within the skin as a pathway, allowing the oil to reach the skins surface (outer layer) to form a barrier that prevents the penetration of bacteria or other harmful agents.
Excessive dirt build up on the surface can cause blockages of the follicle, trapping sebum, sweat, and dead skin cells. The lack of sebum on the skins surface allows bacteria to penetrate the follicle causing inflammation. The final result is acne.
Proper skin cleansing clears pores of debris to prevent dirt buildup, allowing the sebum oil to reach the skin surface unimpeded; decreasing the chances of a breakout.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU STOP WASHING?
If you completely stopped washing your face your pores would become clogged resulting in the development of serious acne. The skin could also experience a combination of severe redness, dryness and irritation from insufficient hydration. Finally your skin would generally appear dirty, oily, greasy and significantly aged.
Most likely you would develop an incredible itchiness; to the point where you would be forced to constantly scratch your face. This could lead to breaks of the skin which serve as entry points for infection. Moral of the story: practice proper skin cleansing!
OTHER BENEFITS OF CLEANSING
- Regular cleansing is essential to keeping your skin looking radiant and healthy.
- Cleansing helps anti-aging products and treatments work properly.
- Cleansing helps maintain proper pore size.
- Cleansing encourages proper skin hydration and prevents the production of excess oils.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT FACIAL CLEANSERS
With literally hundreds of cleansing products to choose from here are some simple tips for selecting a great skin cleanser:
- Know your skin type and choose a cleanser that’s a good match. If you have dry skin you’ll want to avoid cleansers with high alcohol content. People with oily skin need a cleanser with a lower PH level. For sensitive skin you’ll want a basic cleanser free from heavy fragrance and additives.
- The delivery type of the cleanser matters. Cream and oil based cleansers are great for dry skin while oil cleansers are better for oily skin types. Yes, we said oil for oily skin! Oil breaks down oil and losens blackheads and offers a deeper cleanse. for oily skin types.
- If you wear a lot of makeup you’ll want a cleanser targeted toward removal.
- If you tend to sweat a lot from working out look for a product targeting clogged pores.
- If you have concerns with allergies look for “natural” cleansers free of synthetic ingredients.
- Most cleansers marketed as “gentle” are great at removing dirt without over drying and irritating the skin.
- Selecting a cleanser with a balanced PH will help maintain your skins natural balance.
- Make sure to take your time comparing products and looking at reviews. We offer a couple of options for cleansers in our online store.